Monday, July 6, 2009

The Great Family Western Adventure - Day 1 or Boycott Enterpirse Rent-A-Car






















After a year of planning, countless hours on the internet, and many books read, the big day finally arrived. However, the day almost ended in disaster. Since we were going to be traveling over 4000 miles, we decided to rent a car. So those preparations were made with Enterprise Rent-a-Car approximately three months before the day of departure. LeAnn and I got off of work early on that day and headed over to Enterprise to pick up our car. However, when we got there, the guy behind the car, who couldn't have cared less, informs me that I am on their DNR list. What is DNR? It is their DO NOT RENT list. Now, this comes from an unfortunate rental car incident on a business trip a couple of years ago. The fact, that I had nothing to do with the incident, and that I was four city blocks away from the car when the unfortunate incident occured doesn't matter. My name was unfortunately on the contract. Now, I really couldn't care less that my name is on their DNR list, I can always rent from someone else. But, what burns my butt, is that they could have told me this three months earlier when I reserved the vehicle! So here we are on the day of our departure without a car. We decided to try Avis which was next door, but they didn't have a car available. We decided reluctantly to take LeAnn's car. LeAnn decided to take her car to be serviced before we left. While she was gone, my brother Jeff, who was house-sitting for us, suggested giving Hertz a call. It couldn't hurt right! So we did, and luck was on our side. They had a Toyota Highlander, that had come in the day before and was available. LeAnn and I rushed over, signed the papers, and got a really good deal on the rental. The car was exactly what we needed. So we then rushed home, packed the car, took a couple of pictures, and off on the Great Family Western Adventure. And only an hour and half behind schedule!


The first day agenda was simple. Just driving to St. Louis with one stop at Lambert's in Sikeston, MO. Lambert's is famous for being the home of the throwed rolls. Think Cracker Barrel on steroids, and you pretty much have it. The food was excellent and quite filling. Visit their website and http://www.throwedrolls.com/. We made it to St. Louis with no problems and immediately headed to bed, since the next day promised to be long.

No comments:

Post a Comment